God, I love big things! The fantastic J. Marie Ravenshaw, horror and erotica author extraordinaire, was sweet enough to tag me in The Next Big Thing. If you’re not down with the blogingo, this game involves the taggee answering questions on his/her newest work in progress, and then tagging 5 more authors to do the same.
J. Marie did one hell of a rundown on her story, L’Escalier du Diable (The Devil’s Stairway), an erotic horror book (FUN!). I am definitely looking forward to reading it when it comes out!
Now, I’m not sure I can do as comprehensive a job on my Next Big Thing post, but I’ll chalk my cue and give it a shot…
1. Name of my newest book:
It actually pains me to write it, as I recently changed it when another M/M rock star erotica book came out with a very similar name. It was kinda like renaming a child after he’s been around for a few years: weird and sad. Anyway, the current title is “Rock and Hard Places.” Nobody freakin’ steal it or I will come after you with a meat cleaver!
2. Where did my idea come from?
I’m happy to say that it evolved from a fantastic spring/summer of concert-going. 🙂 I love my dual eye/ear candy and wanted to write about something that interests and inspires me in such an extreme way: bad-ass guys with guitars.
3. What genre is my book?
Male/male contemporary erotic romance.
4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Oooo. Well my actor for Alex Bremen is easy: Matt Bomer (with all of his muscles on) 😉 By the way, Matt Bomer could be straight as a pin, and he would still be perfect as Alex–exactly the gorgeous guy I pictured.
My rock star, Chance Ralan, is a bit tougher to peg. I’m going to go with Josh Holloway. He’ll need green contacts, black dyed hair with an inch of blond roots, and guyliner.
Of course, both of my chosen actors are older than my late 20-something boys in the book, but, hey, it’s my hypothetical movie.
I also have a host of fun secondary characters, but I can’t spend that much time picking them out of the IMDb data base right now. If Hollywood comes knocking, I’ll reconsider.
5. One line synopsis of my book:
Alex Bremen, journalist and documentary film producer, seeks out his rock star ex-boyfriend for revenge, but will a rekindled romance spell disaster?
6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? I hope to publish with an erotica e-publisher when I’m done with edits.
7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? I cranked the first 29K out in a matter of weeks–couldn’t type fast enough once these guys got in my head. I broke for a number of side projects (round of edits on another MS, multiple short stories) and then got back on that horse. I would say, about 2 months start to finish.
8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? I have yet to read any rock star gay romances, although I see a few are out there. I am a huge KA Mitchell fan and like to think readers who enjoy her books would like mine.
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book? Wait a minute…didn’t I answer this?
10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? Well, my bad boy Chance is a bit of a stone-cold asshole sometimes, but it’s tough not to love him anyway (as Alex well knows). I like to think of him as my gay guy alter ego. There is drinking, excessive cursing, tons of snark, and a dash or two of angst. Oh, and hot-hot-hot man sex.
Yay! I did it! Now I have to tag 5 others…
I’ll mix it up with The Reclining Gentleman, JC Cassels, A Talk Behind Closed Doors, Alice Dark, and, finally, The Hook–who better be working on some new material by now. 🙂
- Bret Easton Ellis Says Casting Matt Bomer As Christian Grey Would Be Ludicrous Because He’s Gay (socialitelife.com)
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Author E.L. James Confirms New Erotica Book? (booksnreview.com)
- News: 50 Shades of Gay? (filmblerg.com)
- New ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Trailer Stars Matt Bomer, Alexis Bledel (Video) (celebs.gather.com)